View Single Post
Old June 7, 2012, 01:29 PM   #52
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have finally decided to point out why that was not a slamfire and to describe what actually happened. All I ask is that those with other ideas read what I write before sneering at my "stupidity", calling me names and questioning my ancestry.

First, the cartridge was heavily overloaded. (Even experienced reloaders can - and do - make mistakes.) Probably what was intended to be a light load was double charged, but in any event it was a serious overload.

The rifle fired normally, but pressure went sky high and only the strong M1 action prevented a blow up. The bullet went down the barrel at a high velocity, and as it passed the gas port, the gas, at a very high pressure port pressure, impinged on the operating rod, trying to push it back.

But the residual chamber pressure was still so high that the locking lugs were pressed tightly against the lug seats and did not move immediately. The op rod, under pressure at the front, and unable to move at the rear, bent.

Then, the bolt began to open and unlock. But the residual pressure was still high. Not enough to burst the case, but high enough to force the thinner case neck and shoulder out against the chamber wall as the case moved back, accounting for what appears to be almost a straight case. I think if you look, you will find that the primer is smeared and that the case head is flattened, almost obliterating the head stamp.

That residual pressure drove the bolt back hard, so it struck the rear of the receiver and broke it.

That is what happened, not a slamfire; a true slamfire (firing out of battery) would have blown the case apart, released high pressure gas into the magazine well and action, blown apart the receiver sides and splintered the stock. Yes, there have been slamfires with the M1 rifle, but this was not one.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries