View Single Post
Old October 31, 2009, 06:17 PM   #32
Lost Sheep

Casull and Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2
Guy who said a Freedom Arms has not blown up, I bet some might have been bent or loosened by the loads in those other kabooms. Maybe the reason is that people that drop that much on a SA revolver are more knowledgable and careful about loads? Might be that no one has tried hard enough to blow one up yet. There are limits to what any gun can handle at some point and someone out there is just dying to find out what those limits are, apparently. No such thing as an indestructable gun. No magic metals.
I racall when Dick Casull first came out with his eponymous revolver in .454 Casull 30 or so years ago, it was reviewed in a Gun magazine (Guns, Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo, most likely. That's what I read back then.) The authors tested their example. Here is the quote I committed to memory

We loaded up a cartridge to the top with Bullseye and then pressed a bullet on top of it. (About a triple charge). We then tied the revolver to a tire, and tied a string to the trigger. We backed off and lay down behind a log and pulled the string. Every screw in the gun was loose, but the gun was still within spec in every dimension.

Now, this was before Freedom Arms, when Dick Casull was first starting to market his guns in that cartridge.

Does anyone actually personally know of a Freeedom Arms letting go? And does anyone know if the current production is significantly different from the ones Dick Casull was building in the '70s and early '80s?

I am not challenging anyone, but just curious. The gun is (or should be) a legend, but it is not supernatural. Just a good shootin' iron.

Lost Sheep

(To the original poster) Thanks for the pictures. I own an early Redhawk 5.5" and wonder sometimes if it is one of those "Monday" guns. But I don't worry about it overmuch.

Does anyone personally know of a FA Model 83 letting go?

Page generated in 0.03633 seconds with 8 queries