View Single Post
Old September 11, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Crosshair

Long term lead shot vs steel shot in tissue?

I have a question on the long term affects of steel shot vs lead shot in soft tissue.

This first came up when I was discussing with people the merits of steel shot vs lead shot for waterfowl. The general consensus was that steel shot results in more wounded birds than lead shot. That got the gears in my head turning.

There are plenty of people who have lead bullets or lead shot in their bodies and unless it gets lodged in a bad spot it generally gets left where it is if it doesn't have to be removed. The lead and even copper, in bullet jackets, is relatively inert and doesn't seriously react or corrode.

My question is what happens with steel shot in living tissue, be it animal or human? I've seen steel shot for rust rather badly, that could be a serious breeding ground for infection in soft tissue and cause other medical problems. I ask about the affects on humans mainly because there will probably be more long term info on the subject than on waterfowl.

I tried using search, but came up empty. Any information on this subject?

Page generated in 0.03754 seconds with 8 queries