View Single Post
Old September 22, 1999, 07:08 AM   #3
bradleyt

Are you going to start with virgin brass, or brass from rounds fired through your rifle? If it's new brass, you need to full length size, check for trim length and trim if necessary, reprime with Large Rifle Primers (probably no need for Magnum unless your load specifically calls for them), charge with powder, seat a bullet, crimp if desired.
Like Paul said, you can just neck size after that, but you need to check trim length after every firing.
Everybody makes good dies, I own Lyman, RCBS, and Lee and wish they all were Lee. Buy the three die Pacesetter .308 from Midway or Natchez for about $20. It has a separate crimp die, so you'll never worry about bulging the shoulder of your cases by seating and crimping with the same die. It will include load data and a neat little dipper for starter loads.
I use the Lee auto-prime for priming but any priming tool will work.
I use Lee case trimmers, it's two parts, the cutter and lock stud (about $6) and the shell holder and guide (about $6.) The cool thing about it is it tells you if your shell is too long and then you can trim it. I lhave a Lyman universal trimmer and wish I had never bought it.
Natchez seems to be your best bet right now for powder, I use 4064 for .243, .308, .30-06, but there are plenty of good powders.
I am seriously thinking of getting one of those Scouts from Savage, so please let us know how it shoots. The best price I've been quoted is $439-is that in the ballpark?
BradleyT

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 8 queries