Thread: Stopping Power?
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2005, 10:47 PM   #32
steve154

"You've got to be kidding me. Comparing a pebble to boulder and a .22 to a .45 is dumb. A pebble and a slightly bigger pebble, maybe a small rock is better. Assuming a 30 Gr .22 round the .45 is usually about 230 grains. So the difference is 200/7000's of a pound or 2/70's of a pound. Not a whole lot. Then you have to consider speed, sectional density, and target placement. Not to mention it's easy as hell to put a whole lot of .22s on target faster than full defensive loads in a .45. Also there is an issue of quantity of bullets"

With all the JEDI and .45 is great flamming aside, what is REALLY dumb is you attempting to say that there is "not a whole lot" of difference between a 30 grain .22LR and a 230 grain .45ACP. When comparing 30 grains, 230 grains and a bowling ball and all are sitting on a table, there is not much difference between 30 and 230 grains. In the realm of objects striking human beings at close to 700mph, the difference between 30 grains and 230 grains is absolutely gigantic. (toss the bowling ball in at the same speed and it would be ridiculous)

By the way, a sharply pointed knife will also pass through soft body armor, walls and people. Also, I never said the .223 was useless. I said that with ball ammo and at PISTOL ranges I felt that a .45 with hollow points might be a better stopper. I figure that a .45 expanding to .70" and dumping all of it's energy in a target just might be better than a .223 ball round making a significantly smaller hole and expending only a portion of it's energy in the target as it passes completely through while barely slowing down. All of that is of course assuming that the .223 does not strike heavy bone. I realize that if it did, you would have major issues probably greatly exceeding what a .45 would do in the same spot. Strictly thinking of COM shots and soft tissue. I also said that I was not a ballistics expert, so I wasn't sure.

Steve

Page generated in 0.02880 seconds with 8 queries