View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
Taylor, I posted no misinformation. I never said what you can and cant get for a Remington. "I said if you want a challenge," buy such and such. You can get prefit barrels for Remingtons that use nuts, but thats not going to challenge ones machinist skills. A blank would do that. As far as renting reamers, you can do it but unless pricing has changed I dont see it as greatly cost effective.
You were misinforming the OP on the reamers and that is why I presented the links. Renting is still far cheaper in the long run than buying a reamer unless you are going to do several barrels. A new live pilot reamer from PT&G is $138 and then you still have to buy the bushing sets to make sure your reamer is correctly centered. Go/NoGo gages run about $35-40 apiece. Renting the reamer and gages from Elk Ridge for two weeks cost $41 plus shipping, to rent the same items from 4-D it cost $180 plus shipping with deposit and when you return it you get all your deposit back but $38. Tell me how renting for the hobbist isn't more cost effective for a single barrel?

If you were going to recommend something to challenge a "machinist skills" why would you recommend a Savage action and Shilen pre-fit for the OP? When the OP stated that he was a machinist by trade, I would naturally think that he has access to the tools to do everything himself. I'm sure there is enough scrap around his job that he can probably fabricate most of the tools he'd need anyway.

Page generated in 0.03693 seconds with 8 queries