View Single Post
Old October 23, 2011, 01:53 PM   #54
Lost Sheep

From the practical to the sublime to the ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
I tought it was bad living in N Ireland where thousands have being killed in a 30 year terrorist campaign. But i have never felt the need to go to the front door carrying a gun.
Is it that bad in America. ?
Manta49,

No, not really. There are certain neighborhoods and times of day in those areas where being armed may be advisable. If you live there, maybe carrying 24/7 at home might be a good idea, along with other precautions, like high-quality locks, keeping your yard highly visible, alarms on your doors and windows, etc.

Then there are the people. Consider that a fireams-related forum will have a higher percentage of gun-carrying people than the general population. Also consider that many who have responded here appear to live in rural areas where a call for assistance to the local law enforcement might involve a very long wait for them to arrive. I live in a state where some areas are served by the State Troopers and response to a life-threatening situation could take hours or days. (This is extreme, but you get the idea.) But, then you are more likely to be attacked on the main street of the town by a moose than a mugger. I live in Anchorage, which is much like any medium-sized city, but our criminals are probably better armed than elsewhere.

Unless I miss my guess, in Ireland, the violence is more ideological and institutional than personal or criminal. The nature of the threat dictates the nature of the preparation and the response.

I hope my viewpoint makes us seem less sanguine on this side of the pond.

Regards,

Lost Sheep

p.s. There seems to be a bit more slagging going on in this thread than most, so read carefully. I see from your latest post that you get it.

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries