View Single Post
Old September 1, 2013, 08:25 AM   #22
dahermit

Quote:
I always see an awful lot of .30-06 (in addition to bigger/faster rounds) recommendations in these types of threads, and while the old '06 is a mighty fine cartridge, if this is to be primarily a whitetail hunting rifle, .30-06 seems like overkill to me. Anywhere from .243 to 7mm-08 in a short action, and .25-06 or .270 in a long action is PLENTY. Be more concerned with proper shot placement and bullet construction than muzzle energy or bullet weight. Or maybe the deer where I hunt just die alot easier?
That doesn't tick me off...You hit the nail right on the head. I have killed them with 6MM Remington (many), 7X57 Mauser, .257 Roberts (many), .41 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Colt, .303 British, .308 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .32 Winchester Special, #4 Buckshot (many), as well as 30-06, and came to the same conclusion.

Except for the "bullet construction" part...all the bullets I used worked, even the many times I killed a deer with the 6MM Remington using an 87 grain Hornady varmint bullet. I found that the classic, behind the shoulder, shot always worked, the bullet jacket would be shed, but the core would exit the off-side...so much for the necessity of having the jacket and core not separate. Bullet placement is the key. Even with the diminutive .223 (people are going to hate this). I have not shot any deer with the .223, but I have a brother who has as has his son, and he had good results (bullet placement again).

Last edited by dahermit; September 1, 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.03695 seconds with 8 queries