View Single Post
Old March 30, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
I have noticed some inconsistencies in the load data provided by several load manuals as well as that provided on powder mfgrs web site.
Is this a surprise to you? Rather than call them inconsistencies, I think variables might be more accurate.

The differences you see can also be impacted by different powder lots, different testing equipment which can result in significantly variations in chamber volume, different brass casings, different primers, as you mention different bullets, different pressure monitoring equipment, and so on and so on.

That is just one of the reasons why folks will always suggest you check multiple sources before selecting your starting load. It is why you should always start near the minimum load (and I have seen the minimum load in one manual above the maximum load in another for seemingly the same load).

I personally find it challenging to pick a starting load when the pressure isn't provided. The Alliant website only lists a single powder loading. For the 9mm which is a high pressure round with a huge range of OAL (can be as short as 1.010" to the SAAMI max of 1.169" and as little as 0.020" can significantly spike pressure.

That is why reloading is an interesting hobby and why QuickLoad is so helpful.

Page generated in 0.02243 seconds with 8 queries