View Single Post
Old July 7, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Redneckrepairs

Living on the plains of SE CO " long " shots are not uncommon . The 30-06 or .308 will easily stretch out to 600 yards or so if the rifleman does his part ( few can under field conditions regardless of caliber tho IMHO ) . While ill plink at a coyote or a prarie dog way the heck out beyond fort mudge on occasion 1/4 mile is a long ways out there to attempt to cleanly take a game animal . I dont mind driving over to finish off a coyote but i dont want that much adrenalin pumped into meat i am going to eat. I shoot at 400 and out quite a bit but honestly normally will pass shots on game much further out than 200 .

Rather than getting any kind of " belted big boomer " I would suggest you pick up a standard .30 or similar and find a place to practice . IMHO your groups at 400+ yards will encourage you to sharpen your hunting/stalking skills far more than worrying about a " long range hunting cartrage " .

I am not anti magnum , or anti long range shots with the cravat that If a hunter wants to use such a tool and take such shots they must put in the time and money ( ammo even reloaded is not cheap, nor are burned out barrels which must be replaced ) to build the skills to hit game at extended ranges which means hitting good groups without sandbags or a bench . I dont care how you can shoot from a bench , how can you shoot leaned up against a rickety fence post , prone using a prarie dog mound as your rest , or even slung up sitting . Remember shooting is a perishable skill , a box before deer season may get it in areas where cover is heavy and range is close but its not going to get it out here on the plains or shooting across a canyon at an elk . If you lay off shooting for a couple of months your groups will go to he11 off a bench , and much more so under field conditions .

Buy what you will but please take the above as " food for thought " . As if your rifleman enough to take the shot the " unsexy " standard .30s will do it about as far as you can honestly justify shooting . If your not then a dedicated " long range " such as the 7mm or .300 mag will kick more , cost more , and be louder . All of which will tend to stop much needed practice with your rifle , and if you have to ask what might be a good caliber there is no doubt in MY mind you will need the practice LOL .

Page generated in 0.03398 seconds with 8 queries