View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
mkl

Walnut shell is a coarser polishing medium than corn cob. Think 100 grit sandpaper versus 220 grit. Your polish will be better with corn cob, but walnut will take off crud faster. Some people use both.

In my Lyman 1200, I find a 50/50 mix of corncob/walnut with a tablespoon of Flitz paste polish does a very good job. I've used Nufinish and like the Flitz better, although both work well. Flitz just seems to give my cases a brighter finish.

Only problem with Flitz paste is that it tends to "ball up" if added directly to your tumbler. To prevent this tendency, mix one tablespoon of Flitz paste with about one cup of tumbling media. Use a spoon to mash and mix the paste into the one cup of media until there are no balls or clumps left. Then add that cup of treated media to the rest of your media in the tumbler. The treated media will migrate the Flitz to all the other media as your tumbler operates. This is a little more trouble than Nufinish, but I consider the results worth it.

Finally, Flitz does make a liquid that should easily blend in just like Nufinish. However, according to the Flitz web site, the liquid does not contain a tarnish inhibitor while the paste does.

Treated media can be reused many times. Just depends on how dirty your cases were. You can refresh the old media with Nufinish or Flitz several times when the cleaning action slows. When it really slows down, it's time to replace the media.

For your reference, I find two hours in my Lyman 1200 gives the clean and polished results I'm looking for. I also clean with the primers left in the case so I don't have to worry about media in the flash hole (depriming punch removes when you knock out the primer). You will find many opinions on whether to leave primers in or out while tumbling; good luck on finding the correct answer

Last edited by mkl; January 13, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.03635 seconds with 8 queries