View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012, 02:16 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
The 9mm is great for target shooting, but I wouldn't recommend it for defense. There is a good reason that police departments all over the country, and the military are getting away from the 9mm.
They are? That's news to me. In fact I've heard a number of departments are going back to 9mm because of cost and controllability, but rumors aren't worth much. As for the military, trust me when I tell you that they've got a laundry list of issues far more important to worry about than sidearms.

Quote:
When police serve a warrant and the man comes to the door with a gun that he won't put down it forces the police to shoot. It's not a good thing when the man says ouch, that hurts, stop shooting.
And yet there are 9mm loadings that yield as much penetration and expansion as 40SW.

I absolutely love the, "I could get shot and keep moving" attitude of those that dislike 9mm. The people that do get shot and keep going are on drugs that if they are immune to 9mm they will also be to 45ACP. There is video of a man getting shot in the chest from one foot away, wearing a military level vest, with a .308 rifle while standing on one foot and you can see no movement after the shot. And a .308 has a hell of a lot more wallup than a 45ACP. The idea that a few mms turns a pistol from a water gun into a bazooka is laughable.

Quote:
(I'm all for handguns, but its a terrible weapon in the dark.)
What does the dark have to do with anything? Any defensive weapon should have a light, shotgun or pistol. I'll certainly agree a shotgun will do more damage. But depending on the house it might be a bit big to maneuver effectively, even if just trying to cover yourself on the way to the defensive area.

Quote:
Call out that you have called the police and you have a shotgun, then pump the shotgun. I can assure you that the only thing the bad guys will do at that point is look for the fastest way out of the house.
I get where you're going here, but I really frown on this logic because it makes people think that they can just scare away an intruder with a noise. At that point just get a recording of a shotgun. What you're describing is a rational action. How does that apply to someone that irrationally broken into a home where the occupants might be there? That might scare him off, or it might just tell him exactly where you are and what you have. I've listened to 911 tapes of people breaking down doors while the occupants inside screams at them to stop and they have a gun. I encourage all people that if you own a weapon or bring one into a fight you have to be prepared to use it or risk having it used against you.

Quote:
One more thing, NEVER CONFRONT ANYONE IN THE DARK, your house or not. That is what insurance is for. The gun is for saving your life.
With this I agree 100%.

Welcome to the forums
Maintain situational awareness

Page generated in 0.03635 seconds with 8 queries