Thread: 4895 gone bad?
View Single Post
Old December 25, 2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Slamfire

Quote:
Slamfire All I can say is WOW
Several years ago I purchased a couple of thousand surplus 30-06 in the cloth bandoliers with the end block. Dated 1942 and 1954.
Never shot any and just pulled all the bullets and dumped the powder. The cases were brand new looking. None of the powder in any of the cases looked bad or smelled.
I always wanted to fire some from the war period but was fearful of the corrosive primers.
I kept several as show pieces on my computer desk,,,, maybe I should pull and dump the powder.
Thanks for the good info, info like this keeps reminding us that guns are not toys and we need to keep our heads out.
The attached photo is one from 1943 and shows its pristine condition
I just want people to know that gunpowder has a shelf life and goes bad with age.

I think it is prudent to use up old gunpowder first. Since I found out about the problems with old gunpowder, I am not buying any more old estate sale stuff. I have loaded and shot Bullseye that based on the can, could have been from the 60's. Same for a can of IMR 4350, and cans of IMR 4895. They all worked great. But you know, I have decided I am not interested in spending good money on old powders. I think I will pass on 80’s and earlier powders. I am not buying anymore "surplus" powders as I cannot verify the age of the powder. Based on my experience of having to toss out half of the surplus IMR 4895 I bought, surplus powders are not a good deal. I am shooting up what I have of surplus IMR 4895 as quickly as match schedules allow.

As for old ammunition, just look for the corrosion. There is risk in old ammunition and the older the ammunition, the more risk. Just be wise with your money. There are reasons old surplus ammunition has been cheap. The originating nation does not want it anymore, and there must be a good reasons.

And store ammunition and powder in cool conditions. I have a copy of a Ken Warner article in American Rifleman where he tested .22LR ammunition that had been stored in a shed, and the stuff lost its velocity over time. Shed temperatures got over ninety according to the article. If the powder is losing its velocity it is aging. And when the stuff ages, it does not burn as consistently as it did when new. Single based powders will have burn rate instability and double based powders also have the issue of nitroglycerine migrating to the surface changing the initial burn rate. These conditions can cause pressure spikes.

Page generated in 0.04372 seconds with 8 queries