View Single Post
Old August 31, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1
mortation

Some Newbie questions

Hello all,

This site was the first result for a google search on "black powder pistol forum" so I hope some of you may have some advice for me

I am in need of a gun for the farm here, practical not just for fun. We have an issue with pests (fox, coyotes, deer, etc) not to mention my own critters to put down (pigs). I am very interested in the old black powder pistols and have been researching them for a few weeks.

Modern guns have never really interested me, the old west however is a different story. I spent many days outside as a kid playing cowboys and Indians with friends (Probably one of the the last generations to do so) and I loved old western movies. I was always fascinated by the guns of that era but just recently learned they now make practical reproductions.

I am particularly interested in the 1858 New Army Target .44 Caliber Revolver with Starter Kit from Cabellas which I believe is a Pietta. I have heard Uberti is better, should I look for one of those instead?

At any rate I also found a drop in conversion cylinder HERE which I am also interested in. My question is if I get the conversion cylinder can I change them out at will? I want the convenience of cartridges at times, plus the fun experience of making my own ammo but I also want to be able to use the old fashioned cap and ball too.

Any other additional insight you could share would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03781 seconds with 8 queries