View Single Post
Old March 23, 2014, 02:07 PM   #9
spacecoast

Quote:
Might want to use tighter caps that won't fall off. If a cap falls off, I recommend replacing it right away rather than when it cycles back around. You increase your chance of chain fires if you don't.
I was using #11 Remington caps. Would #10 be the next smaller size? The loose fit was rather obvious when installed, and I would be willing to switch back and forth depending on the nipple.

Quote:
Bore butter, while being a great lube for shooting, is a bit "iffy" for preservation. You might want to use a good synthetic oil liberally schmeared everywhere for long term storage of a valuable antique.
I'll keep an eye on it and rub down regularly with my customary oily rag. Regarding the chambers and nipples, is it a good idea to clean them with alcohol before I go shooting again to get rid of the lube?

I don't have much hope of removing the nipples, even though they look to be in good shape. They've been in place at least 40 years, maybe a lot longer. However, if I were to leave the cylinder soaking for several weeks to try and loosen them up, what would be the best thing to use?

Page generated in 0.02322 seconds with 8 queries