View Single Post
Old July 8, 2000, 10:42 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Re 28 gauge. There are several choices. Remington and Franchi make 28 ga autoloaders. There are several 28 Ga pumps available or on the used market.

Beretta makes a 28 ga on their 20 ga frame (686 model) that is quite popular and reasonably priced for a quality O/U.

I fail to see a problem with heavier guns in 28 GA. I prefer a heavier gun as it will shoot softer and teach proper follow through. Lighter guns tend to make the shooter stop swinging (or checking as the Brits say).I have shot the Ruger 28, and while it is a fine gun it is way too light and whippy for my shooting tastes.

Several importers have 28 Ga S X S guns available, mostly of Spanish origin and of good quality.

Another possibility is mounting 28 ga tubes in your 12 ga O/U or S X S. While the tubes alter the balance of the gun they are a less expensive way to shoot 28 ga than buying a new gun. Briley makes a universal set of 28 ga tubes (Called the companion) that do not have to be fitted to each gun and can be swapped between guns as long as the barrel length is the same.

The big problem with 28 ga is the cost of ammo. If you shoot 28 ga you have to learn to reload. But in 28 ga your reloading dollar goes further as you use less powder and shot per shell. 28 Ga wads cost the same as 20 ga wads. Reloading is the way to go.

I agree that 28 is tha best gauge to teach youngsters how to shoot, it is great for women also as it doesn't beat them up like a 12 or even a 20. I know shooters who have problems with their shoulders and shoot 28 exclusively because of the mild recoil. Most use tubes in a 12 ga O/U or shoot an 1100.

We need to support the 28 gauge market, if more ammo is purchased the price will come down and more models will appear.

Buy one today and have fun!

Geoff Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited July 08, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02855 seconds with 8 queries