View Single Post
Old September 24, 2002, 05:52 PM   #26
Larry Ashcraft

Let's not forget that we are not infallible, the 2 worst KB's I've seen were loaded by "experienced" reloaders.

The first one loaded some 44 mags with 22 grains of Unique. When asked why he said "I don't know, it seemed right at the time". Split the cylinder on his SBH and blew off the top strap.

The second one was more serious, a gunsmith friend of mine has the "remains" of the rifle, a sporterized 1903 25-06. The guy waited until 11:00 pm the night before antelope season opening to run downstairs and load up some rounds. Grabbed the wrong powder (one of the IMR numbered ones, I forget which). The next morning when he fired his first round, he saw a huge ball of fire as it knocked him down. Blew the barrel about 100' in front of him, blew off the scope, splintered the stock and he almost ate the bolt. 2 lugs were sheared off and the 3rd was cracked. He was left with only minor injuries, luckily. The gunsmith figured he must have had the pressure up around 300,000 psi.

Knowledge and experience are no good without "careful" thrown in. Never get complacent.

Page generated in 0.02602 seconds with 8 queries