View Single Post
Old November 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #15
thedudeabides

Quote:
SIG Arms is yet another of the many companies who proudly proclaimed that THEY were going to make 1911s better than anyone had ever done before. Which meant, of course, that they were going to ignore what everyone else had learned from 100 years of 1911 production, and reinvent the wheel.

Their first generation guns were so horrible that they stopped production, blamed it all on the producer of the slides and frames (Caspian -- who subsequently sold off all the unmarked SIG slide/frame sets as "kits," and the buyers didn't have any problems with them), then retooled. The second generation weren't much better. Then it turned out that SIG didn't understand the differences between a full-size and a Commander, so their Commander-size guns were self-destructing in under 500 rounds. Third generation was marginally better ... but not much.

I don't even know what generation of production SIG is up to today. It would be about my last choice for a 1911 -- in competition with Taurus for "Worst Choice."
That's pretty much it.

I still remember how Sig contracted Caspian to make those dreadful 1911s with the manhole covers on them and how there were no gunsmiths that would touch them... I think Caspian just wishes that no one remembers that terrible marriage. Then came the GSR, and I remember how it was a badge of honor to have one that actually WORKED, or how most "granite steel rail" pistols actually had NO RAILS. Apparently the slide action was like running granite over steel... or something. And let's not forget the Sig-specific slides that set up a brand identity, kind of like monolithic dust covers, or full length rails... just... not cool.

Your story also reminded me of how Sig just decided that a "Commander" was a regular 1911 that was shortened, but without any other design considerations to deal with the reduced slide mass (and therefore potentially increased velocity) and what effect that may have on the gun's components.

My favorites were the Blackwater logo guns they quickly spun off as the Nightmare line, because no one wants a gun with the label of a mercenary company on the slide...

I had very good luck with several P220s, and I really liked the overall design of the Scorpion... I guess Sig still hasn't sorted out how to make a 1911. Maybe in 100 years?

Page generated in 0.02758 seconds with 8 queries