View Single Post
Old June 13, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

AR500 steel target question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4006 View Post
So I just ordered a 12" gong style AR500 target from Shootsteel.com, and I have some questions about AR500 steel in general before I receive it and start using it. I'll mainly be shooting it with my handgun and .22, but my concern is shooting it with surplus 7.62x54r with my mosin. I know a lot of the surplus stuff is steel core, so what would that do to the target at around 100 yards? I know it has no chance of going through it, but will it dimple the target? Also, what will happen to a steel core bullet upon impact, will it just smush up or ricochet somewhere?
You may want to check with the maker but usually any rifle more than 5.56 needs to go to 150 yards. Someone shot my Arntzen Target and it dimpled. It must have been some sort of 22 rifle. The projectiles get reflected back down at a 45 degree angle in the ground in front of the target.

For handguns up to 357 magnum, I keep it at 15 yards. 44 magnum needs to be further out. you can get splashback. I don't shotgun at close range, either.

Page generated in 0.02653 seconds with 8 queries