View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

All good posts. I had thought about mag sticks, but I kept burning my nose while lighting my cigar. All my stuff is in plastic bags to avoid moisture. Adding to many things would create more weight. I have had First Aid training, and what I find is that, if you don't know how to use it, then forget it. I can wrap gauze around a pretty good sized wound and get by, and if you were by yourself, and you have a gaping chest wound, your pretty much done for anyway.

My kit is not meant for Total survival, but just some things that if you use your brain, and a bit of luck, you can improve your chances of staying alive in a bind.

Three Rivers and Honobia refuge have several areas that are 20 miles square, without a house or road in sight. I have had to use my survival kit only once when I got trapped by flooding rain, and got my truck stuck, and leaving was not an option.(That's when I found out that a cell phone is not a very good emergency plan)
I was only there for three days, but by having the stuff in my truck, I was able to stay pretty comfortable until the flooding creeks went down, and someone came along to give me a hand. Since then my kit goes everywhere I go, especially on my four wheeler.

The water purification thing is a good idea, I hadn't thought of, and at the time, I had not thought of packing any kind of food, hence the packed jerky.
It might not be much, but it is something.

Page generated in 0.02647 seconds with 8 queries