Thread: .308 Win enigma
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Jimro

Unclenick,

Much easier to change powders than bullets for the .mil as a new match bullet would have to get yet another legal review for compliance with the Hague Treaty. Every couple of years a lawyer will find an old box of M852 with the "for competition use only" and flip out saying they are illegal hollowpoints. I had a lawyer tell me that HPBT bullets such as used in M118LR, M862 and Mk262 were not authorized except for those units that "had a special ROE just for them" which is utter BS. That briefing was in 2007, more than a decade after HPBTs were cleared for combat use.

My "accuracy loads" in 308 are pretty sedate, only 41.5 gr of 4064 under a 168 HPBT or 173 FMJBT. Velocity is low, but 600 and under no one notices. Any further than that I should really jump up to the 43.5 gr charge area, and in my testing I've gone all the way to 45 grains with no ill effects, but accuracy is my goal instead of velocity.

As far as Re15, it has a very good reputation for temp stability, so it should perform similar or better than 4064 with regard to charge density.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries