View Single Post
Old July 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #12
RWK

big daddy . . .

Unless I misperceive, your basic question focuses on the visibility of blue versus stainless handguns, with your thesis being less visibility is better.

Like many others, I do not believe that there is any real difference between the two alternatives. However, you may want to consider one point that has not yet been articulated: Many – perhaps most – “handgun situations” end successfully just by presenting the weapon. The felon flees when confronted by the armed good guy. Therefore, I suggest the more visible – and the bigger – the sidearm, the more effective it will be in dissuading the criminal. This is part of my rationale for preferring full-sized autoloaders and revolvers; their “menace factor” is large and I would rather scare the threat into leaving than shoot him.

To illustrate, I know that my “smallish” Glock 36 (loaded with a top-rated .45 ACP +P hollow points) is a much more formidable handgun than an old “ball and black power” revolver from the Civil War era. However, the almost 150-year-old revolver may look a lot bigger and more intimidating to the uneducated crook.

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries