View Single Post
Old December 19, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
govmule84

I've never been charged that much at SPAG, but there are other options.

Classic Pistol in Southampton is probably my fav - you can bring your own ammo, and the prices are definitely where they ought to be. If I recall correctly, if you bring your own eyes, ears, shells and targets, you are ONLY paying for a cardboard backer and lane time. However, you are also driving waaaay far out of Northeast. I don't know where you are located, so that may or may not be a good thing. They have a TON of classes there, and everyone I meet who works there seems friendly and knowledgeable, and totally not into that overbearing gun-store commando thing.

The aptly named Firing Line at Front and Tasker Sts. is also OK - I think they ask you to buy one or two boxes of ammo, then they don't care. Their fees are pretty low, but they are sort of a low-buck operation. The equipment is pretty tired, the decor and lighting are tired, and the building is pretty cold and dirty. However, it's affordable, and right in South Philly, so that's pretty convenient for most folks. I seem to remember them having classes, but they were sort of skimpy on scheduling, and the facilities this time of year would make it a little difficult - cold and dark.

One last thing to consider - Philly is expensive for everything. Higher sales tax, automatic Wage Tax for people who work here, and frequent protests at gun shops by antis bump prices. You don't have to like it; you just have to live with it. If you are willing and able, finding somewhere to take a class on the weekend outside the city is probably the way to go, especially if you are price-sensitive.

If not, SPAG is the place to go... High prices, but the best in Philly. Maybe get a membership there - it usually runs 3 hundred something for a regular, but on Glock Days and someother special days, they have basic membership for 79 bucks. Still have to use their ammo when you go, but no lane fees and big discounts for people going with you. Won't matter if you don't reload, I wouldn't think. I know they also have full auto rental, if that interests you.

Drop me a line if you want to go shooting!
-L.

PS - Oh yeah... Target Master on 202 in Delaware County is great, too. Reasonable rates, and lots of classes - but it's a hike!

Page generated in 0.02818 seconds with 8 queries