View Single Post
Old August 21, 2009, 08:04 PM   #355
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
No John, I am afraid you are the one who created the false dichotomy.

Please look at my post(s) and point out any where I said there were only 2 extremist choices, that bolded section above are your words, not mine.
I chose to quote the specific example under discussion, but broadening the statement does not alter my meaning. The specific weapon carried and or the specific method of carry is pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned.

You said:
Quote:
I simply choose to join the actions to try and sway public opinion, may be right, may be wrong, but I will not sit on my hands and bemoan the success of others, particularly when we have not seen the totality of their impact just yet.
That is a false dichotomy. One need not choose between: 'OC at high-profile events' and 'sitting on one's hands'. The point is that there are other things that can be done to further the cause of gun rights and of educating the public besides "joining the movement".
Quote:
...it is a bit disingenuous to try and make those of us who support the activists as extremists.
That might or might not be true but it's got nothing to do with me. I haven't called those folks or their supporters extremists, I have said I believe they're misguided.

I have also said that the general public sees them as extremists.
Quote:
I think we might look at the gay rights movement, and, look how they have progressed in the last 30-40 years. By fighting, often unpopular to the mainstream, they have rights no one would have imagined in the 60's.

I also see that during that time, the gay movement has, as the gun movement, a variety of different approaches to achieve the end, and, that many did not
agree with the 'radical' approach.

I find it strange that gun owners are 'in the closet' so to speak, and those trying to come out are thrown under the bus...
This is a very poor analogy for the simple reason that the gay rights movement had strong support from within the mainstream media while the gun rights movement has strong opposition from the mainstream media. The approaches used by the two movements will, therefore, have to be very different to be effective.
Quote:
It is very possible to use the media to our advantage.
It is very difficult to use the mainstream media, that is why the NRA has had to virtually create its own media in order to get the word out.

Yes, there are a few examples where the media has been useful in spite of itself, but those examples are rare and happened mostly by chance. It's very difficult to engineer something like the Selleck interview because the media will do its best to resist being useful to our cause. They don't like being made to sound dumb, they don't like having to refute strong logical arguments in front of "their" audience.

Page generated in 0.02809 seconds with 8 queries