View Single Post
Old October 31, 2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Slamfire

The shut down of this plant is not as simplistic as banning guns. There are other considerations , such as the lead pollution in the area:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...31e596cac.html

Quote:
In early 2007, the EPA found high concentrations of lead in dust collected on roads near Doe Run's Herculaneum smelter; trucks leaving mines in Reynolds, Iron and Dent counties have at times been coated with lead. Spills of lead ore and concentrate also have occurred in the mining district and have not always been cleaned to acceptable levels, the EPA said.

Tests conducted last year of 372 properties within a mile of the Herculaneum lead smelter found 129 properties contained lead at levels beyond the EPA's allowable limit of 400 parts per million. Of those, 104 properties had already undergone EPA-ordered soil remediation in the last nine years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company

Quote:
Pollution at the U.S. operations[edit]
Doe Run has been cited regularly by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for infringing emission limits, contaminating roads and generally polluting the immediate vicinity of the smelter.[7] Exceeding of emission limits has resulted in the reduction of the permitted capacity of the Herculaneum smelter.[1] Road contamination has resulted in orders to clean up certain roads and to wash down vehicles before they go onto public roads.[8] The company has also been ordered by the EPA to address issues relating to elevated lead blood levels in the community and lead in community soils adjacent to the smelter. It has also spent US$10.4 million on buying up to 160 residential properties close to the smelter that are contaminated and is to clean up contaminated soils.[9] The company has paid for research developing an electro- chemical replacement, Flubor[10][11] for primary smelting of lead ore.[12]

Based on what I read, I would not want to live next to this nasty lead plant. Unless the Obama administration has banned the importation of lead, I am certain the Chinese are quite willing to pollute their county into a stinking cesspool, as it already is in many of their cities, by smelting lead and selling the ingots to Americans.

Page generated in 0.03469 seconds with 8 queries