View Single Post
Old July 29, 1999, 02:14 AM   #1
Jeff Thomas

Let me confess a sin, and ask for some advice / info. I took a Gunsite class some time ago - at least 60 days ago, maybe 90. Probably ran 400 to 500 rounds through a ported Vang Comp 870 with an 18" barrel. Cleaned it well before class. However, I didn't clean it after class ... until this evening.

I've run mostly Sellior & Bellot, and some Federal ammo through it. Mostly 7 1/2 birdshot, a fair amount of 00 buckshot, and about 50 slugs.

When I cleaned the barrel this evening, I noted it is not glassy smooth consistently down the barrel. About midway there is what looks like a rough section. Doesn't look like pits. Just not glassy smooth like most of the rest of the barrel. Nor as glassy smooth as another 870.

Now, I don't recall what the barrel looked like before class, and I've heard cylinder bore barrels become very smooth over time. So, did I likely screw up my barrel by not cleaning it immediately after the class? Do most folks clean their firearms after every use, whether they run 1 round through or 100? Or am I a bit overly concerned?

I was under the impression that new, good quality ammo today was noncorrosive, and there was no real need for concern. However, I'm now wondering if I've learned one of those expensive lessons.

Obviously it's tough for any of you to give me a crystal clear answer, since you can't see the barrel. But I'll appreciate any experienced help. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 29, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02068 seconds with 8 queries