View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Cosmodragoon

Coincidentally, I called the Ruger in New Hampshire where the Sp-101s are made earlier today. I had the lady in customer service find me the resident expert on Sp-101 design. I asked the expert if there are any structural or metallurgical differences between Sp-101s recently produced in .327 Federal Magnum and the ones produced in .32 H&R Magnum a decade ago. He stated that everything is exactly the same except for the chambering. He said that there was no change to the composition, processing, or structure of any part, from barrel to forcing cone, except for that.

I know from putting a .327 round into the chamber that the difference is only in where the throat starts. The .327 slides in like butter but stops just short of fitting all the way down the chamber. So correct me if I'm wrong, but we are really talking about a very small change to the chambers in this conversion.

If all other things are equal, then I don't see how there would be any large gap in durability between this project and the Sp-101s sold in .327 up until just recently.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries