View Single Post
Old January 5, 1999, 04:37 PM   #4
Bob Thompson

Tex, I also shoot a 30-378 in a fine Savage heavy varmint rifle for some serious long range target shooting. I load max. charges of slow burning powder and heavy bullets for minium trajectory and most shooting is of the bench where recoil is more noticible. My solution along with a fine muzzle brake was to remove the buttpad on my synthetic stock, remove the foam filler and fill with as many hardcast bullets that would fit tightly and replace the recoil pad. For me this worked very well indeed. Recoil was much more tolorable and should I ever hunt with the rifle I'll just remove the weight and absorb the recoil for the 1 or 2 shots needed for game. I don't know what Weatherby you have but this doesn't alter the looks at all and if the need arises just refil with the spraycan foam filler available at most hardware stores. Also I shot my best groups with the weight in. It doesn't appear to shift inside the stock as liquid mercury would. It is marvelous to hit a target at long range but choose your range carefully to insure a good hit on game. All game is due the respect of a clean kill. Just a thought.

Page generated in 0.01894 seconds with 8 queries