View Single Post
Old July 21, 2015, 03:50 PM   #146
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel
Someone thinking of reloading for PURELY ECONOMIC reasons is, in a sense, doing it for business pursuits, not so much as a hobby.

Businesses always factor in the costs of loss, breakage, insurance and lawsuits, that sort of thing.
Okay, let's put that into the equation. As you say, it can be factored in. it's easy enough to do.

My $2,000,000 umbrella policy cost me just under $300 per year.

It covers injuries and judgements attributed to my boats, plane, cars, motorcycles and houses as well as personal negligence (guns - reloads).

What percentage of the $300 do you think we should assign to the reloading?

(Note that historically, the vehicles are at a MUCH higher risk of causing injury.)

My personal thoughts (admittedly with no research) would be 40% cars, 20% plane, 20% boats, 10% motorcycle, and 10% house (primarily because of pool). Since that's 100%, we could make it 38% cars and 2% reloading. In other words, I'm 19 times as likely to need the insurance due to a car accident than a reloading accident. Sounds about right to me, if you have some real data let me know.

I'll add it in tomorrow if I get a chance, but it's not going to make much difference.

We should also assign a percentage of my health insurance payments (injury, loss of limb, loss of eyesight, etc) to the reloads in case I need to use them, but it's paid by my employer. You'll have to put a value on that, it's 0 to me.

We'd need your cost of health insurance, as well as what you believe that the chances would be of you being harmed by a reload if you reloaded. 1 in a 100? 1 in 1,000? 1 in 1,000,000?

Last edited by 45_auto; July 21, 2015 at 04:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.02793 seconds with 8 queries