View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
oldpapps

I think that we all do it the same differently.
I start by studying loading books and determining just what type of load I want to build. This is dependent upon the weapon and existing needs.
So I find something that I don't already have covered. I pick a range of bullet weights and types that will meet my arbitrary and imagined needs and work on the powder types I will try, first.
At this time we will go with me having all of the above worked out. I will find a safe/soft starting point for the bullet - powder combination. I load three rounds of the starting load and another three rounds with a heavier charge and this continues until I have ten different charge loadings to test.
As I shoot from my drive way, my trip to the range is closer than the carport.
I fire each set, checking for any pressure or other potential problem, then the next in the series. This continues until I find my upper limit. If the weapon is an auto-loader, full function is a must or that load is dropped. Now with the lower and upper limits set I can begin working on accuracy. During the preliminary testing, a 'feel' may be found with a load or in a series of loads, I will hone in on that at the start.
A test load with 3 to 5 rounds and then another with a minimal change of load. These are benched at 100 yards and when a winner is found, a new set of loads with smaller variations of the charge follows. Eventually a loading will be found that is the most promising. With the best loadings I will load up 30 to 35 rounds. 10 to 15 will go across the chronograph and the remaining 20 will get a slow fire from the bench.

Yes that takes a lot of time and shooting, but that is what I like doing.
I will load up a fair sized sampling of the final load and move on to my next project. Many times a bullet or bullet type or powder combination just won't come together and I will re-think the options again.

I don't change primer brands or types. I buy in bulk and that's what I use.
I will make COAL adjustment from time to time as I see fit.
I do make use of cheaper bullets in the initial steps and only switch to the better ones when I'm getting close to a 'keeper' load.

And now you know how I keep busy.

Enjoy and be safe,

OSOK

Page generated in 0.03020 seconds with 8 queries