Thread: What Response?
View Single Post
Old October 17, 2010, 01:23 AM   #43
NWPilgrim

I'm no ninja but I agree with the others who has said, "I'll fight him the best I can to prevent him getting me into the house or die trying."

I guess if you can read the mind of an armed criminal to know all he wants is your TV then fine let him have it. I would certainly not fight him if he had the drop on me and just wanted what was on my person or in the truck. But as soon as he wants to move me into the house, a car, or other secluded place then the equation has taken a bad turn.

As already pointed out, once inside he can kill you, tortue you, or both and then wait for a wife, kids or whatever to show up and have more fun with them.

I haven't faced anything like this but I suspect a killer wouldn't announce, "Let's go inside so I can whack you in private." He would probably try some less threatening approach like, "Let's go inside, all I want is your TV."

It's a gamble either way. Personally I would rather risk a fight in public even if I ended up losing. At least he would probably then run away and my family whether present or returning later would be safer. If I comply and go inside without a struggle then I am betting the farm on his good intentions, the good intentions of an armed criminal.

The other points:
- There are plenty of handguns mostly impervious to moisture, especially if you clean them after a dunking of sweat or water. One reason I prefer Glocks. Even blued guns will be fine if you clean them up right away, but that is a hassle of they are exposed to moisture frequently.

- I don't let people stay on my property unless invited. No solicitors, etc. If they are not family, friend or neighbor they don't have any business on my land. Anyone who refuses to leave after a firm statement I am not interested and thy should depart immediately is an escalation of risk. As a youth I did some soliciting and I think any reasonable person of good intent would leave pronto if specifically asked to do so. Someone who persists is up to no good (maybe not violence but certainly to take advantage of me). If they are in a hurry and need help I will call 911 and go behind them on alert to see what is wrong (dog chewing a kid, etc.).

Glad the situation worked out for the friend, but I'm not willing to gamble on the criminal's good graces once he has me out of public view in my own house.

Bottom line, I will deal with strangers outside my house. First a polite but firm shooing away, and if need be then by whatever other appropriate means I can bring to bear. Even at the risk of harm or death to me. No stranger is getting into my house with me still breathing.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.02223 seconds with 8 queries