Thread: Build or Buy?
View Single Post
Old February 3, 2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This where I'm torn. I would take great pride in building my rifle and enjoy that I have something unique. But there is always that thought in the back of my mind that I wouldn't do it right and would have to source a gunsmith to get it right adding to the cost and taking away the self-build aspect.
Building your own Savage is different than building your own from almost any other kind of rifle/action.

The Savage barrels simply screw in and are held in place by a big nut. If you can thread in a light bulb, you can put together a Savage rifle.

You remove the ejector and extractor from the bolt, insert a go gauge on the bolt with the action vertical, close the bolt, screw down the barrel by hand until it's tight on the go gauge and tighten the nut. Open bolt, remove go gauge, insert no-go gauge, attempt to close bolt. If you did it right (how can you not?) it will not close. You're done.

I admit, the simplicity of the build does take a bit away from the "I did it myself" aspect. I mean, I install my own light bulbs too, right? Still, it's YOUR gun and YOU did it and NO ONE has one like it.

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 8 queries