View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

The most interesting thing that I took away from the video is that Alan Gura has taken his case pro bono, so I presume that Mr. Gura thinks it's a good test case to challenge the MD law. (He must have some way of cloning himself, to handle all the cases he takes on... )

According to the NRA/ILA website, 'Maryland has no constitutional provision granting a “right to bear arms.”'

This may account for Mr. Gura's interest in this particular case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
So does this mean that *anyone* in Maryland who's been convicted of misdemeanor assault has lost their gun rights?
Apparently it does. According to Wikipedia's summary of MD law:
Persons who have been convicted of a crime of violence, any Maryland-classified felony, conspiracy to commit a felony, a common law crime for which the person received a term of imprisonment for more than two years, or any Maryland-classified misdemeanor that carries a statutory penalty of more than two years.(My emphasis.)
I take this to mean that any crime of violence, whether felony or misdemeanor, would disqualify someone from owning a gun.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 9, 2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: additional information.

Page generated in 0.03145 seconds with 8 queries