Thread: Turkey Season
View Single Post
Old June 6, 2000, 09:42 PM   #6
bergie

In NE, the spring seasons are tied to "normal" dates for breeding period. The regular season is during the breeding season. It is done this way because the turkeys are gathered in larger flocks, and are very active and vocal, with much gobbling and strutting by the toms and calling by the hens. I prefer to hunt the late season in the unit that I hunt, the peak of the mating season is just past and most of the hens have been bred and moved off seperately to nest. The toms are still active, looking for more hens, and seem to be more responsive to calling. They will come in easier than if they are strutting around a bunch of hens. It is pretty cool to watch a tom or two and a couple of jakes showing off around a bunch of hens, but frustrating as can be, because it is just about impossible to call them away. They seem to know that "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". But after the available hens have all been done, the toms still want more and will go looking for some stray. Toms are about the horniest damn critters there is. In areas with low hen populations they have been known to destroy new nests. The hens will sometimes cycle again and be receptive to breeding. One tom can breed many hens. A well managed hunting season may take a high percentage of the toms, but will have little effect on the # of hens that are bred.
Been chasin 'em when I can for 25 years.
bergie

Page generated in 0.02730 seconds with 8 queries