View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 02:10 PM   #333
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Save the ducks!
Unfortunatly the hunting group fails to recognize that not only do they not "need" firearms to hunt, but there are people out there who already hunt using other weapons, so to speak. Bows are the number one but there is also other primitive types of weapons I seem to find primitive hunters either interested in, or using in some fashion.

So, with that said, I have to ask, why dont those hunters feel the need to use something other then a firearm to hunt? The answer would be it is effective to use a firearm, but also requires less skill then say a bow or other primitive weapons. If that is indeed true, then why are we not only restricting, but also expecting those law abiding americans to defend theirself with a less effective weapon?

Many of these americans for one reason or another have varying levels of fitness, but also handicaps and others physical issues which would make it almost impossible to use certain primitive weapons. The issue isnt just do we "need" an AR-15, or standard capacity mags, its also about do those of us, law abiding americans who have some sort of physical issue that restricts them, that should be entitled to adequate, proper tools for self defense.

It would be one thing to restrict an average, fit, american, to a 10 round mag, but its another to restrict another who is bound to a wheel chair, and has only 1 good arm to use to a 10 round mag and expect that same wheel chair bound person to be able to reload quickly and defend theirself, when a standard, full capacity mag would be better.

We would be essentially discriminating against those in society who are restricted due to physical issues for whatever reason.

Also, it we can look at the mental health aspect in a similar way. There are many folks out there who feel that any variation from the norm is a mental health issue. While I do support increase of reporting of serious mental health issues to NICS, and I do support increasing mental health programs, we need to not only define what is "serious" and what is just a minor abnormality...

Ive known and dealt with folks personally, who feel strongly about keeping those folks, some with extremely minor mental issues, some as small minor learning disabilities, seperate from others and or discriminate against them, because they are not the "norm" as they see it. Ive never known 2 people exactly alike to be honest, so we should expect minor variations in people and embrace that difference. I bring up this point because we need to keep those who have a real potential for violence restricted, but we should not let the line drop down to where it includes anyone outside of a narrow norm.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; January 7, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.02603 seconds with 8 queries