View Single Post
Old November 27, 2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Gbro

I wouldn't say spotting the camera is an issue. The flash and the pooooof of it going off is very noticeable.
Anything that wildlife gets used to without any harm to them is going to be ignored.
That little buck pictured probably never heard a camera flash and was spooked. Now the flash alone probably wasn't alarming as lightning is common to him.
It looks like your camera was quite a distance from those deer, and I am sure they are quite used to everything.
By that I mean your smell also. I know that deer wasn't used to human odor, I would think any time it comes across odor its going to be alert, then the poof and that settles it.

I have witnessed a deer on alert for 45 min from the stand.
Long story, but it is background for my suspicions.
I had a doe and 2 fawns bed down under the tree I was in (bucks only season 12+ years ago) I could have spit on her, and could hear her chewing her cud. Here ears were scanning at all times, and the fawns ears were down, not a care in the world. A small fork horn came in and the doe never once focused on the sound of him. Then she winded him and jumped up and went to him. I watched for a while and then dropped the little buck in his tracks. The doe ran a short ways and then started browsing. I sat still and didn't even bolt my rifle until she was out about 40-50 yards. About 45 min. later I heard 1 twig snap. She heard it also, and up her tail went and away she went full tilt. gone!
I thought, wow what is this coming. It was an 8 pointer on the same trail as the fork and her earlier.
She was on alert and didn't know what way to go until that one snap that we both heard.
I got the 8 pointer also. That was my Two for Tuesday Buck(s)
These deer have to be alerted after anything unusual.
I will be placing that camera back in that same spot again next year. Its still out now and tomorrow is muzzle loader opener and I will be there just in case, who knows? That's hunting

Page generated in 0.03405 seconds with 8 queries