View Single Post
Old January 27, 2010, 09:26 AM   #30
DogoDon

Below is the text of a message that I have sent to my senators and representatives. I would encourage others to do likewise if you are in a state that does not have Florida-type statutes providing immunity from criminal and civil liability for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in defense of self/home/others:

As a citizen concerned about efforts by some to gradually erode Americans' right to own and use firearms for self defense, I am writing to urge you to do all you can to support legislation similar to Florida's statutes (section 776.013 and related sections). As I'm sure you know, Florida (and other states) provides immunity against both criminal AND CIVIL prosecution for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in defense of self, home, and others.

North Carolina needs similar laws. As the law currently stands, a person who lawfully uses deadly force in defense of self may escape criminal liability, but may still be subject to potentially ruinous civil liability. This has the effect of removing the consequences of a violent offender's volitional act from where it rightfully belongs (on the offender) and placing it on the innocent victim. This is plainly wrong.

Please do what you can to facilitate passage of legislation to correct this situation. I will not vote for any NC senator or representative who opposes such legislation. Thank you, sir.

[signed, xxxxxx]

Contact your state legislatures about this! Thanks!

DogoDon

Last edited by DogoDon; January 27, 2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correction of post

Page generated in 0.02795 seconds with 8 queries