Thread: Wild hog ham!
View Single Post
Old August 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
txdragon

Wild hog ham!

I am back with another project from the pig I took last weekend. Ham. Who doesn't like a good ol' slice of ham with some eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy? Or a ham sandwich with some swiss cheese on toast? Or just a slice on a plate? NOBODY in my family will turn down this country staple, so I am making a couple from the hinds from my recent kill, wich I will now refer to as,"wild thing". Pictured below is one of 2 hinds defrosting enough to start breaking down for salting.

I am sparing some space and just showing the first pic in the beginning cure, but the aich bone was removed along with the hind shank (I have other plans for that little rascal!) I lined my piggy tub with some newspaper, generously salted all sides, paying particular attention to getting inside all the bone areas.

I will cure first with just salt over the next 10 days, repacking more salt every 48 hours and draining all the juices from the tub. After the 10 day salt pack, I will then mix a sweet brine with a few select herbs and spices and soak it for another 10 days, changing the brine mix one time in mid-process. Then the leg will dry in the fridge for 72 hours and get some smoke. More pics along the way, of course. Stay tuned all!!

Page generated in 0.03247 seconds with 8 queries