Thread: 922 compliant?
View Single Post
Old November 18, 2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Webleymkv

Quote:
If I take a Saiga part off and radically modify it's shape and add US made parts, is it still considered an imported part. For example...I take the stock Saiga fore-stock off. Cut it to a shape I like, ventilate it and customize it with US made additions like over, under and/or side rails...or maybe a US made quick release bipod or something else...

Will Uncle Sam say its an imported part...because it was...or is it a made in USA part...because it is now made in the USA??? Has any legal president ever been set?
That's a tricky one but I'd err on the side of caution and assume that it would still be considered an imported part. Here's an explanation and text of 922r and certain other laws.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40375

Assuming we're talking about a bone-stock Saiga, you could still make certain modifications to the handguards. 922r only applies if the firearm in question is modified in such a way that it would be unimportable under 925(d)(3). The features specifically listed are as follows

Quote:
These characteristics include the ability to accept a detachable magazine, folding/telescopic stocks, seperate pistol grips, ability to accept a bayonet, flash suppressors, bipods, grenade launchers, night sights. It was decided that any of these military features, other than a detachable magazine, would make a semiautomatic assault rifle not importable.
According to that, the only one of the mods you suggested that would require a full conversion would be the bipod. However, you would need to be careful what you put on those rails as a foreward PG, grenade launcher, night sights, or any of the other "assault weapon features" would require 922r compliance.

Honestly a full conversion makes things a lot easier as you can do basically whatever you want to the rifle afterwards so long as any "special" part added is U.S. made and it doesn't run afoul of and NFA regs.

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 8 queries