View Single Post
Old August 24, 2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Yeah, the only differences between a 1911 in .45 and one in 10mm are the barrel, magazine, slide, frame, extractor, ejector, firing pin . . .
The main problem is the breechface, which varies with chambering. A lot of .40s on the market share a slide with the same company's .38 Super, or the Super shares with 9mm, as the dimensions are not too different, but .40 to .45 is too big a difference to allow one slide to work for both calibers.
Rick is correct however you can add slide stop to the list.
Colt made 5 different slide stops and the 10mm is listed as a #4.

As Rick has pointed out the breech face is the big difference.
The ones I've measured the 40/10 measure 0.430 to 0.435, the 45 measures 0.480 to 0.490.
So were talking anywhere from 0.045 to 0.060 difference in breech face, keep in mind that most extractor claws will only be about 0.040 in depth.

Now the extractor themselves are different, it has to do with the extractor pad and the nose of the extractor.
The difference in the pad dimensions is 0.10 on the ones I've measured, the 10mm being thinner.
Keep in mind the pad thickness controls the amount of distance the extractor claw can move toward the center of the breech face.
Also the nose of the extractor is tuned differently, if one looks at the extractor rebate on the case of both cartridges it will be plain to see why.

Now the rim size of the two cartridges themselves is an issue that needs to be considered, the 10's I've measured will be 0.417 to 0.420 the 45's were 0.470 to 0.475, we are looking at a difference of 0.050 to 0.058.

Now factor in the slide to frame fit tolerances and all the tolerances I listed above, if you are lucky and they all stack in your favor the 10mm conversion may work on a gun setup for 45acp.

If they do work you still have feed ramp depths and angles, plus slide speed to deal with.

As for the mags, I've fed many 10 mm single stacks with CMC Shooting Star 45acp mags.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Page generated in 0.03610 seconds with 8 queries