Thread: budget gun safe
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2010, 12:57 PM   #18
gilmorez

Gun Safes from the big box retailers

Hi, I am reading several reviews in regards to gun safes from the big box retailers like Lowes, Homedepot, Wallmart, Acadamy. You should be approach these with caution.
I was in Acadamy several weeks ago and they had a Cannon gun safe 72inch tall and 36 inch wide with 30 min fireproofing. Then the interior corner wall was broken and falling forward revealing 1/4 inch piece of sheetrock....my opinion here is that there is no way that 1/4 inch was going to do anything against fire but add a little sound proofing to the gun safe. I really was shocked.
You will find similar quality in the Liberty Centurian Line. (that saved too much money on really thin steel. Last time I checked it was only 14 gauge)
Sentry has good fireproofing but they really make the steel too thin. (Cans of green beans have thicker steel)
I do sell gun safes at my website www.valuesafes.com I don't sell the lesser quality because they normally only make you "feel" secure and I would rather suggest a nice strong closet with some dead bolts. Because its going to be just as fire resistant and can't be carried off.
Better to wait and save a little more money and get something that will last for decades like a Hollon, Browning, Amsec, or something.
But before I leave this subject. STAY AWAY FROM internal hinges. Test any gun safes ie: Liberty by feeling on the hinge side with the door open and you will feel NO fireproof material of any kind!!! Its a shock when I discovered that because they they brag about the fireproofing so much. Last time I cooked supper a metal pan on the stove wasn't much of a fireproof material.

Page generated in 0.03525 seconds with 8 queries