Thread: Trap shotgun
View Single Post
Old September 29, 2008, 11:30 AM   #14
BigJimP

Single barrel trap guns are "very specialized" as Trap Guns - and they aren't good for anything else. I don't care if you're talking about a BT-99, a BT-100, a Lujtic, a Kriegoff KX-5 - they're all good guns - but way to specialized for someone that wants a versatile gun.

You can shoot any gun you want for trap - and if it fits you - it'll be fine ( a pump, a semi-auto, or any over under ). Most important issue in picking a gun is to get one that fits - or it will not hit where you look.

The most versatile new "trap" gun - a Browning XT (T is for Trap ..) in a 30" barrel is pretty versatile - and if you find a used one it could be a good buy for around $2,000. New they retail for about $ 2,400 without the adj comb / about $ 2,700 with the adjustable comb ( and I won't recommend it without the adj comb ). 30" barrel will give you a little more versatility - rather than go to a 32" barrel which is what most of prefer for "Trap".

A truly more versatile gun in Brownings lineup is the XS Skeet / or the XS Special - and you can get the XS Skeet in 28" or 30" barrels - new at about $ 2,800 and used around $2,000 again. The XS Skeet in 12, 20, 28, .410 is my primary gun for skeet or in the field ( quail, pheasant, etc ).

A paralell comb gun seems to fit more people than the traditional field comb with a drop to it - so I would suggest you find a gun with a paralell comb. Another gun with a lot of adjustability are the semi-autos from Benelli - like the Super Sport - synthetic stock, comfort tech system in it - I'm seeing them new in the big sporting goods stores for around $ 1,650 ( and in that gun, I like the 12ga, with a 30" barrel ).

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries