View Single Post
Old November 13, 2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Noz

This type of thread turns up every six months or so.

We in SASS play a game. It is not hunting preparation nor is it intended to make you a proficient self defense shooter, it is a game with guns.

The "mouse fart" loads are a thing of the past in most events. the good shooters discovered that even they need some feedback from the gun to shoot well and shoot fast.

Close targets? Yes they are SASS is a game of speed and accuracy. We try to shoot fast and we do not have bulls eyes on the targets. We will, however penalize you for missing the targets and/or shooting them out of order.

Limited motion? Yes, in some cases. Our shooters are not teenagers and many of us are limited in the way we travel. Our rules of engagement lean heavily toward the safe side of shooting.

Funny clothes? Not necessarily. Long sleeve shirt(protection from hot brass) leather foot gear, and a pair of Levis and you fulfill all of the costume requirements. Hats are not even required. How much more you wish to add to the costuming is up to you. You can go whole hog and do the ultra fancy B-Western Category or Classic Cowboy category. The only thing we object to is t-shirts, baseball caps and tennis shoes.

Social event? You betcha. I shoot with my friends. I enjoy the shooting but I also enjoy their company. Our club makes it a policy that everyone at the shoot is invited to go to lunch together after the match concludes. These lunches will frequently run 2 hours or longer.

If you know these things up front then I don't see where the gripes come from.

If you are wondering, the current world record for shooting at and hitting 10 rifle from a lever action or pump rifle on 5 targets in two sweeps, 10 pistol from 2 single action revolvers on 5 targets in two sweeps and 4 shot gun targets knocked down is just under 14 seconds. All long guns are staged on a table rifle loaded with 10 rounds, hammer down on an empty chamber and shot gun staged open and empty. Pistols are loaded with 5 rounds and hammer down on an empty chamber.

If you get off of your high horse and try to play the game as it is being offered, you will have a good time. Even if you are an experienced shooter in other venues, expect to get your butt kicked by an awfully lot of shooters when you first enter our game.

If you come and try it with an open mind and don't like it, we wish you well and hope you find a game you like.

But, we'll be there next month with our funny clothes and guns and having a ball!

Last edited by Noz; November 13, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.03330 seconds with 8 queries