View Single Post
Old March 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #15
mrgoodwrench76

Quote:
Been thinking a lot about the Mosin for hunting. My budget is limited, as I am a college student. I found a source of Mosins for $90, which sounded great....... until it dawned on me that I would need to purchase a decent scope (around $50?) and then pay to have it mounted by a gunsmith (another $50?) Overall I would be looking at around $200.

However, I currently have an SKS w/ an open sight. I was thinking I could simply spend $50 for a scope and be done w/ it. Certainly mroe appealing costwise.

Any comments on this?
decent scope for $50?? No. For something that will hold up to the recoil and last any amount of time you need to spend at least twice that if not 4 times, depending on the quality you want and even then, your talking low end stuff.

Mounted for $50?? No. The mount alone will cost you close to that and depending on which one you get, the mounting cost will be somewhat expensive. I would call a local gunsmith and inquire as to their cost for this service. I would say your total cost would be somewhere around 3-500 depending on the quality of scope.

As far as mounting a scope on your SKS...you probably wont get the results you are wanting. The accuracy of the SKS for hunting is limited to 150 ish give or take which should be easy to do open sight. Mounting a scope on it wont make much difference.

Page generated in 0.02596 seconds with 8 queries