View Single Post
Old May 2, 1999, 09:09 AM   #1
DDS

I have used ultrasonic cleaners for years in my profession and with the appropriate solutions for the task at hand they work wonderfully. I routinely use an L&R ultrasonic tank to clean and lube my pistols.
I shoot weekly and the once postponed and tedious task of thoroughly cleaning each pistol has been eliminated. Once completed,
my pistols are "factory new clean".All I do is simply remove the stock/grips and field strip, if an auto. I usually use the cleaning solution for approximately 10 min then rinse all the parts with H20 in the sink. Depending on how fouled the pistol is, I sometimes use a worn toothbrush to lightly brush away loose debris in small crevices. The parts are then grossly dried and a lubricating solution is replaced for the cleaning solution. My tank has a drain plug to make the change very easy. The parts are then run for approx. 10 min to displace any H20. It is just that simple! I never have to use a bore brush except to quickly swab out the lube accumulation.
The only diadvantage I have encountered is that screw parts have unloosened in the past requiring me to strain the cleaning solution prior to rinsing. I feel that the ultrasonic action was not the culprit but the parts were loose to begin with. I have cleaned this way for years and am spoiled to the point that I wouldn't go back to the traditional method of cleaning. My pistols are very, very expensive and I feel the modest cost of getting started is well worth the investment. Hope this is of some help!!

Page generated in 0.02657 seconds with 8 queries