View Single Post
Old July 30, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1745
maconite

Greetings and salutations

Just wanted to take a moment to say hello and let you all know I'm here.

Fortunately, I'm in Georgia, where the politicians are expanding their views on the right to carry, unlike some of the states where carry rights are being whittled away or made financially burdensome. The last bill we had passed here allows concealed carry in government (state/county/city) building and prevents hassles over demands to see licenses. The only government building I cannot carry in now are those like the courthouse where they have metal screening devices and a trained security officer manning it. Those little paper signs, like a pistol with a circle and a slash through it - aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Now, in all fairness.... If the management of a business asks you to leave because you're armed - and you DON'T - they CAN have you arrested for criminal trespass. But if they don't want my business, I'll happily spend my money elsewhere - NOT a problem.

I got my first firearm at the tender age of 5 years old. A single shot bolt action .22 rifle, and a brick of shorts, purchased by my parents with Benson and hedges & Belair cigarette coupons. Needless to say, that was well before the GCA of 68. At the time I could hold the rifle, or I could hold the bullets - but I couldn't have both at the same time.

But I followed suit and bought my daughter a .22 single shot rifle for HER birthday when she turned 5 as well. Her's was a Ted Williams lever action single shot .22 that she wasn't strong enough to cock the hammer on. That was a GOOD thing! It meant MY hand was on the weapon at all times while it was loaded and she was shooting it. You should have seen them at the range when she walked in (with me of course) carrying her own rifle. When they questioned it my response was, "Can you tell me better place to teach her gun safety than at a range? Don't worry, I'll have one hand on the weapon at all times when it's loaded." THIS they had to see - and they did.

But I'm in central Georgia, retired, a boolit caster and reloader as well as a weapons restorer - all as hobbies. I've brought several weapons back into service that had been abandoned in outdoor sheds for decades and am currently working on a Ruger Mini-14 that probably hadn't been cleaned since it was manufactured and sat in a high humidity closet for too many years. Another 7-10 hand rubbed coats of Formby's Tung Oil varnish and it'll look a LOT better than it did the day it left the factory. I've already gotten rid of the rust and done the (cold) bluing on the hardware. All that's left to finish is the furniture.

But I'm glad to be here and look forward to meeting you all.

maconite

Page generated in 0.03486 seconds with 8 queries