View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 01:27 AM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
It seems that the police are shooting, before commands can be understood, let alone complied with. In this most recent shooting, I believe the age of the child did play a part. 13year olds are not noted for being the most diligent about safe gun handling. And, on top of that, the boy knew he wasn't holding a real gun. The officers, of course, did not.
I agree. And I believe it is institutionalized. I know it is in my state -- at the academy, they teach cadets to demand and to expect instant compliance with their orders. They are not taught to "discuss," they are taught to order. If the subject does not "comply," they are taught to escalate the order in a louder, firmer tone of "command voice." And once they enter "command voice" mode ... it's all over. ANYTHING the "subject" does after that, if it's not instant and total compliance with the order -- even if the order is illogical and illegal -- is deemed to be at the least obstructing justice and more probably threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The report said his back was to the police. Kid hears a shout behind him, maybe he hears the blip of the siren, maybe he sees the reflection of the lights, he turns, and the rifle looking "toy" or "pellet gun" (immaterial which, at this point, it looks like a gun), turns with him. Police see someone turning to them with a gun, likely perceiving it as being pointed at them, and fire.
That's the way I figured it. The kid probably heard a voice saying "Drop the gun," and turned to see who they were shouting at. Couldn't have been him, 'cause he wasn't carrying a gun. (At least, not in his mind.)

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries