View Single Post
Old March 23, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Waaay back min the dark ages...after the GCA 68

All ammo purchases were recorded, ID, adress etc. was needed, stores kept the records.

This was quietly dropped after a while, as being both onerous and of no practical benefit.

Now we have a county legislature (didn't know they had such things) has decided to include additional requirements, including gun info (ser#!).

First of all, I wonder how this would conflict with various pre-emption statutes (if NY even has such), and secondly, there is nothing in the law concerning use of the ammo in a different gun! I wonder if that would be considered a crime?

And third, in the definitions, any person "disposing" of ammo is considered a dealer. Doesn't shooting it "dispose" of ammunition?

Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other things questionable about the wording, let alone the intent.

Something like this seems impossible, but since it is being done on a county level, where the word of the "legisalture" of the county (I wonder how many people are in that body) is final, it might just pass.

When I lived in NY state, 35+ years ago, we never heard of a county legislature. But then I didn't live in Albany county, I lived in Saratoga county, which was run by the Board of Supervisors.

Page generated in 0.02281 seconds with 8 queries