View Single Post
Old November 4, 2005, 11:54 AM   #30
AJ Peacock

LHB1, Yeah I know, I need to lubricate that switch

I could have used any of the bullets for comparison, and it would have shown very similar results.

I've used all types of firearms for whitetails (.357, 50cal Muzzle loader, 12ga, .243, 7mm mag), several different ones for Muleys (30-30,.243, .270, 7mm mag) , 7mm for Elk.

My default go in the woods rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag. I've shot Muley's from 7yds to 820yds with that rifle (both one shot kills) and almost every distance in between. Same with Whitetails and Elk. When I know the range will be close (150yds or less) and its REALLY cold (so I will be wearing HEAVY clothing), I'll use my .243 with the short stock (it fits better then). When I'm hunting in a swamp only, I'll grab a handgun or shotgun.

But my default go in the woods rifle is still the 7mm Rem Mag. Why? Because I have found (after 3-4 dozen big game animals), that it is appropriate, capable and efficient.

I even have different loads for the 7mm mag, for use in tight quarters (low velocity 139gr bullet). This load turns the 7mm into a less than .308 w/re to muzzle energy! But normally I use the 162gr at 3000fps+

Good luck with your hunting too!

AJ

Page generated in 0.02477 seconds with 8 queries