View Single Post
Old October 29, 2005, 04:02 AM   #22
Silent Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5 82nd AB
Silent Trigger, I agree with you, on three counts, I'm an AK fan and I don't see a real need for full auto weapons unless it is a S.A.W. either. And that XM-8 is ugly. :barf: I have a nice M-1 garand and a nice M-1 Carbine and my M-1911A1 too. If the SHTF here again, I'm ready to roll. I even have the bayonets for the Garand and the Carbine too.
Yep the AK-47 is a great weapon indeed as far as "assault rifles" are concerned but for overall "Battle Rifles" I'd have to pick the M-1 Garand or the BM-59 Beretta variant that pre-dated the M-14, and strangely enough I prefer the BM-59. Though I won't sell short the Enfield No.4 MK 1, especially when utilized in the Sniper role in the battle rifle department, and is my rifle of choice over even the Mauser 98K for old fashioned bolts. I've seen too many problems first hand with the AR-15, and a lot of the NAM Vet buddies of my father's early on who used to visit the house and actually trained me a lot of things they shouldn't have to a child between the ages of 8 and 12... well all they did was cuss out the M-16, and most favored the AK-47 and would carry them every chance they got.

As far as SAWs go, they're good but I'd rather have me an M-60 or BAR over a HROF 5.56mm SAW. When I saw the XM-8 however, I just shuddered and talked with more than a few who have tested it out. To me it's nothing more than an over glorified H&K G-36 Assault Rifle, which I had the pleasure of shooting about a year ago at a "Tactical Range" not too far from where I live along with the glorious MP-5 SMG. For whatever their reasons the DOD wants to make that the next main line rifle, at least all things point to that, and while it may prove to be a better functioning and reliable weapon, I'm from the old guard (Brown Shoe and/or "Dog Soldiers") even though I'm just a bit shy under 30 yrs of age. A military rifle should be above all else reliable, but it should have a rugged exterior, though like with everything else it seems even the firearms of the future are incredibly candy assed in outward appearance. I used to own an M-1 Garand, damn sure miss it, along with my M-14/M-1A1 brand spankin' new from Springfield Armory... but I recently bought a Town Home Condo so they went bye, bye to pay for the closing costs. These days I've got my trusty .30WCF M-94, the AK-47, a .22-250 bolt action rifle and a Cx4 Storm, that mainly the wife uses.

I'm ready to rock & roll should the SHTF as well.

Page generated in 0.03283 seconds with 8 queries